According to the data from the Digital Innovation Observatories of the School of Management of Politecnico di Milano, in 2019, the Italian expenditure to make use of digital content amounted to € 1.785 billion, in increase of +20% compared to the previous year. The report with the number of Internet Users in Italy, which has risen to 39 million, shows an average expenditure of about € 46/year per user, also growing by 17.5% on an annual basis.
So, we live in a world more and more rich in digital content, content that hugely increases minute by minute, allowing us to have access to all the available information but, in some cases, leaving behind a feeling of disorientation. If this is the feeling that we experience as consumers, how do we, as company, succeed in producing valuable content that is able to reach the right users and then, in this way, be monetized?
In this article, we will discuss different strategies for taking advantage of digital content.
- Data Monetization, starting with digital content;
- A good digital content creation strategy;
- What are the solutions to monetize the content;
Data Monetization, starting with digital content
What does it mean “to monetize content”? Assuming you have a blog, direct or indirect monetization strategies can be imagined.
First of all, the blog is a fundamental tool to tell and place on search engines content related to one’s products, whether they are physical products or online services. But there is much more.
The blog is in fact a space where you can showcase your products or content, in different ways. By focusing on digital content, it is possible to work on:
- Ebook, to be downloaded for free, as a lead generation tool;
- Totally free articles, written in an SEO-oriented perspective, to ensure a good ranking on search engines and therefore increase traffic;
- Advertising on your own digital property, namely your own blog. Once you get a good traffic, albeit in a specific niche, the possibilities of monetization through the application of advertising banners are not to be underestimated. In particular, programmatic advertising and artificial intelligence offer even more significant opportunities, as we will see with PaperLit’s solutions.
Building a good digital content creation strategy
Content strategy (especially of digital ones) includes all aspects of content planning and management throughout its life cycle.
We can summarize some key points for a good digital content creation and management strategy:
- Determination of the objective: a good content marketing campaign must start from a well-defined primary goal. A generic qualification such as, for example, obtaining more customers or increasing website traffic is not enough, it is necessary to understand how the digital content strategy integrates with the business strategy. This means incorporating content creation more specifically into your marketing and customer relationship strategy. From this reasoning, there will be tools purely used for lead generation (the company blog, for instance) and tools (for example, email marketing) designed to lead prospects to an effective conversion;
- Creation: the first step for building valuable content is to study user researches and the most popular content on the web and on social networks. Given the context, you will need to understand how to insert the right content related to your product/service. Working on digital, it will also be important to have up-to-date and good quality content, with a well-structured, but at the same time, flexible editorial plan. As from now, the creation of the content – whether it’s an article for a blog or a post on social networks – is a very delicate step. In the infinity of the online context, building content that is actually able to attract the attention of users (and Google’s algorithm) is not trivial. For this reason, there are specific skills and dedicated technologies – such as, for example, technologies dedicated to keyword research or advertising management on social networks;
- Monitoring: it is essential to use specific technologies, such as the solutions of Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics, to monitor the progress of you content, and therefore understand the performance and visitors of your website, and the blog connected to it. Monitoring the traffic of the website and the categories of users who frequent it through the appropriate statistics it is important not only to optimize the content quality, but also to understand the opportunities for data monetization.
PaperLit’s content monetization solutions
PaperLit, tech company of the Datrix group, offers DataLit as a highly innovative technological framework for bloggers and publishers. In particular, the solution supports the creation of a data-driven strategy, through the identification of the most qualified user segments, thanks to the use of Artificial Intelligence.
By inserting a pixel in your digital properties, Machine Learning algorithms enable you to identify interests in an extremely granular way, segmenting users into clusters, automatically. This allows to offer advertisers segments of great value that are reachable thanks to programmatic advertising solutions.